Tuesday, October 12, 2010

3 reasons that the Google Car is brilliant for the frustrated commuter


Google is already a friend to the frustrated commuter, because they help me avoid traffic with Google Maps Traffic. 

Now, it has been revealed that they've been investigating computer-driven cars. Not an original idea, mind you, but it actually looks like it stands a credible chance of happening with our existing infrastructure (read: doesn't rely on magnets in the road).

And here's an article that shows some of the how-to of the Google Car.
 
 

image courtesy of NYTimes.com


So, I'm totally in love with the idea. 
Here are 3 reasons that the Google Car is brilliant for the frustrated commuter.

1. Efficiency of traffic flow
Have I told you how much I hate being stuck traffic? When you think about it, "increased volume" should not equal "slowed speed", except at the "queue points" such as highway on-ramps. The reason traffic slows with volume has to do with the human psyche -- we get nervous and we naturally slow down when we're feeling claustrophobic when boxed in. Tapping the breaks or slightly slowing at one point in the highway translates to a full stop miles down the road behind the original incident, as the reaction to those brake lights cascades back through the traffic column with increasing force. A computer-driven car has none of these hang-ups. Traffic will continue to move smoothly when the cars in the traffic are driven by computers.

2. More "me time"
Ignoring the probable time-in-traffic savings in the previous point, there's another way that a Google-driven car would give me more "me" time: the ability to fully engage in something besides driving. I can imagine reading a book, working on a laptop, texting, watching a movie, practicing my drawing skills, taking a nap, etc.; all while sitting in my driver's seat as the computer drives my car to my destination with speed and efficiency. The possibilities are endless.

3. Safety
There are a lot of people who are not particularly good drivers (and I reluctantly have to include myself in that group). If a computer-driven car could make the mediocre drivers move through traffic in a better-than-mediocre way, I think that's useful. Plus, a lot of drivers drive distracted. All the activities I list in the previous bullet (reading, movies, texting, etc.) some drivers do already today. The Google car would simply take over the driving from the drivers that are already doing these things unsafely.

Bring it on Google! This frustrated commuter says, "it can't come quickly enough!" :D

No comments:

Post a Comment