Thursday, November 18, 2010

Disaster in a tunnel?

This morning, the lovely and talented BitchCakes posted an entry in which she shares her fear of commuter disaster in a tunnel.

To which I commented:
In my city, I sometimes have to take a car tunnel that runs under a river. Every time I do, I have visions of that old Sly Stallone movie "Daylight".
There are a lot of bad drivers in my city, so I could easily imagine one of them panicking, hitting the wall, sideswiping me, and causing a big pileup, during which a semi truck punches a hole in the tunnel, allowing the muddy waters to flood in.

I can't look at faces while driving through tunnels for fear of being the one that causes the accident, but I DO make judgements based on the cars I see around me.
- The burgundy LeBaron -- probably a little old lady who looks like my grandma and weighs, like, 90 lbs.; I'd totally hoist her over my shoulder and get her to safety.
- The white minivan -- probably full of kids on their way to school; they'd probably (erroneously) look to me as a leader to get them through the burning wreckage floating on the icy water.
- The silver Escalade -- probably driven by a total douchebag who would step on my hands as he heads for higher ground at the end of the tunnel.
- etc.

So what do you think? Are BitchCakes and I alone  in our irrational fear of this scenario?

No comments:

Post a Comment