Saturday, February 26, 2011

Off-topic: new take on the glass-bottom boat

My friends at Translogic point to a neat project to build a boat with a sub-marine pilot compartment (I'd argue against the use of the word "submarine" to describe the EGO, since the boat itself does not go under the water)

I've been fascinated by the sea all my life, and have enjoyed a "submarine" ride (actually, a deep-keeled boat with sub-waterline windows) on a trip to Catalina Island. I've also thoroughly enjoyed numerous snorkeling expeditions on Hawaii, and "do it yourself" snorkeling at the Kapoho Tidepools. If I ever found myself at a resort that had the EGOs available, I'd definitely jump at the chance. There's something truly magical about the world under the waves.

The real interesting thing about the EGO is that it's super-easy to pilot (a plus for the noob boating crowd at a resort) and is pilot-able from under the water.

I only hope that there are good "bumpers" on those pontoons...

No comments:

Post a Comment